Earlier this year, we asked our people to voluntarily complete a confidential employee engagement survey, which included questions related to workforce demographics. The response rate to the survey was 69%, and the data shows:
- 28.5% of survey respondents were born overseas, with AGL employees identifying with over 40 different cultures and having fluency in more than 22 languages. AGL’s workforce broadly reflects Australia’s multicultural society, with 2011 Australian census data identifying that 28% of the Australian population was born overseas.
- 2.7% of survey respondents identified as Indigenous, comparable with an estimated 3% in the general Australian population.
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) employees represent almost 8% of AGL’s workforce, with the full diversity within the LGBTI community represented within this population, including transgender and intersex. Australians of diverse sexual orientation, sex or gender identity may account for up to 11% of the Australian population.
- 4.2% of survey respondents reported having a disability. Approximately 18.5% of Australians have a form of disability.
- 52.3% of survey respondents reported having carer’s responsibilities, compared to 38.2% of employees in Australia with unpaid caring responsibilities.
Read out FY2016 Sustainability Report to find out what we are doing to support workforce diversity and inclusion.