AGL's Melbourne and Adelaide Customer Service Centres last week held orange fundraisers to continue support for Victoria Against Violence. Dressing orange, eating orange and drinking orange in support of the cause, customer service teams raised almost $1000 for Salvation Army domestic violence support services and shelters.
This activity follows on from AGL Melbourne office 699 Bourke Street glowing orange at night for 16 days from the 25th Nov - 10th Dec, becoming the first private company to join a range of other public buildings around Victoria. Victoria Against Violence coincides with the United Nations - 16 Days of Activism against gendered violence and the Say No - UNiTE campaigns and aims to raise awareness about what individuals, governments and organisations can do to prevent family violence.
AGL recently released an integrated policy both for customers and employees to support members of the community impacted by family violence. Our support for customers includes:
- Referring calls from customers raising family violence concerns to a specialist team trained in supporting vulnerable customers and having sensitive conversations.
- Taking extra steps to protect account privacy, such as adding passwords.
- Establishing payment plans, moratoriums or, where appropriate, applying debt relief.
- Connecting customers with additional support services.
- Establishing a hotline for family violence workers who may be supporting our customers, so they can dial directly through to our specialist team.
For employees, people experiencing family violence gain access to an extra 10 days of leave to seek support, flexible work arrangements, and access to strictly confidential advice and support from counsellors who are trained on domestic violence issues through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
“We want to be a workplace and a business where people feel comfortable about raising these issues. Regardless if you’re an employee or a customer, you should know we are ready to stand by you and deliver necessary support,” says Andy Vesey, AGL CEO an Managing Director.
The fundraising activities continue this week at AGL Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne Offices up until the campaign concluding this Thursday 10th December.